Monday, March 15, 2010

Life Drawing in Cumberland

A big part of my Elemental Magic philosophy, is to draw as much as possible, regardless of what kind of animation you do. In fact I think that so called 'digital' artists, and CGI artists, should practice this as much as possible. We work in a visual medium, regardless of what technique we use, therefore we need to develop a visual vocabulary, and always practice communicating ideas visually. Without drawing skills, it is almost impossible to communicate a visual idea that could be quickly and easily explained with a simple sketch. And all you animators out there who started out drawing, but now work with CG, or Flash or Harmony, DON'T FORGET TO KEEP DRAWING!! Use it or LOSE it!!

I decided to put my money where my mouth is, and get back into as much life drawing as I can. Here are a few drawings I've done since I started up again. Definitely a little rusty, but it is fun and I can feel myself loosening up and drawing better and better again!


30 minute drawing



15 minute drawing



10 minute drawing


I can't urge you enough to get out there and draw as much as possible! Everything you do creatively will improve, even music, dance, you name it. Drawing from life is the very soul of the creative experience, let's not toss it out and get lost in a digital illusion of creativity!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool and its always nice to see life drawings and to be reminded to get back to basics

Clive said...

Well put, and, hot dang, there's the drawings from last night! Beautiful stuff. I glimpsed a couple in situ but it's really hard to see what everyone's doing when I'm preoccupied with erasing; I mean drawing; myself. That's why it's so great for participants to post stuff to the blog so we can all see how others approach the subject. Love it if you could post these on The Lifer's Blog!